Skip to content

What should I do if someone tells me about their harm or abuse?

If someone tells you they are being abused stay calm and listen, take what they say seriously. The person being abused must be the one to make any decisions about who to contact and what action to take, provided they have the mental capacity to do so.  If a person does not have the mental capacity to make this decision than you should act in their best interest

If a person is in immediate danger, or if the person experiencing abuse is not considered to be a vulnerable adult then contact the police. 

If a person is considered to be a vulnerable adult then contact social services. Call the Adult Social Care Helpdesk on 01452 426868.

If you suspect a person is being abused you can still contact social services or the police. You may want to talk to the person first before making contact.

If you suspect institutional abuse contact the manager of the institution and/or social services or the Care Quality Commission. Call CQC on 03000 616161or email

The Safeguarding Adults in Gloucestershire website outlines the process that takes place after a concern is raised.

External Link:
Contacting Someone About a Concern
External Link:
What Happens When a Concern is Raised?
External Link:
Share Your Experience with CQC
Related Services:
  • Search from the homepage to return information from the whole of Your Circle.

Translate this page


County Council
Shire Hall
Westgate Street
Gloucestershire GL1 2TG

T: 01452 426868
E: yourcircle@